Call Today

Hernandez & Associates Law Firm

The ways court-ordered child support can be enforced

On Behalf of | Jan 28, 2021 | Family Law

If you are an Alabama resident trying to recover from the emotional and financial tolls of a divorce, worrying about whether child support payments will be made should not be an additional stressor. Maybe your child support payments have stopped for whatever reason, and you are wondering how you will be able to take care of your children.

Luckily, there are a few different ways to enforce child support orders, and an Alabama attorney can help advocate for you and guide you through this process.

How to enforce court-ordered child support

The most common and most effective way to enforce a child support order is to have the amount withheld from the non-custodial parent’s earnings by their employer. Another common way to enforce child support is to have the amount withheld from their federal or state tax returns. If these options are not possible, the non-paying party can face multiple repercussions:

  • The amount of child support owed will be reported to credit bureaus.
  • Liens can be made against personal property including vehicles, real estate and insurance settlements.
  • Passports can be denied, restricted or revoked.
  • State licenses can be suspended or revoked.
  • The non-paying parent can be prosecuted.

Additionally, the non-paying non-custodial parent’s information can be entered into the Federal Institution Data Match (FIDM) system. This national system is checked quarterly against bank, credit union, savings and loan and money market accounts to ensure child support is current. If not, liens and levies can be made against their personal property.

Caring for your children through the chaos

It is already stressful trying to recoup after a divorce, so you shouldn’t have to worry about how you will care for your children. An Alabama lawyer well-versed in family law can be your ally and advocate, keeping you informed in these uncertain and trying times.